Skip to main content

Cloud Matters: How Much Are You Overpaying for Cloud Services?

This is the second in a series of articles based on the popular Cloud Matters lecture series I’ve been giving to executives and their top staff at global Fortune 100, 500 and 1000 companies since 2012. These articles are for working pros at all levels and are delivered without icing and sprinkles. 

The title question is a zinger, delivered with a grin when I’m told a client has gone with Amazon Web Services (AWS) and states they are paying X dollars for Y number of servers with Z discounts (or whatever other arrangements they’ve made). Of course, to be fair and honest, I do the same when clients tell me they’ve gone with Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure, VMWare, OpenStack or whatever. Because clients paying X for Y with a side of Z are getting gouged every day.

As an outside advisor, I don’t negotiate deals or terms for my clients, though I probably should. Companies like Cloudyn and its many lookalikes are charging a commission of 2 to 3 percent of the cloud-bill for the same, and minting new millionaire employees as fast as the Denver mint ships truckloads of coins in the process. Meanwhile, I simply tell my clients what I know when asked, without charging fees in perpetuity for the know-how.

What I know is this, well at least part of what I know, because one can’t give away the cow without charging for the milk. Companies that move to the cloud are getting taken to the cleaners, literally, and have been for years. This is especially true for the early adopters, and it’s still true with pricing for cloud services dropping like a stone into a river.

The problem is bad, has been bad, and will continue to be bad. The sort of bad that comes from negotiating the price of your 60-proc E10K servers to the decimal point while letting Oracle decide how much to charge for the db12 licensing. Hey, what the heck, roll the dice with your cloud licensing too. After all, you’re saving money, right? Right?

Call when the sticker shock sets in, because it does and will. The dozens of companies that have jumped into the cloud cost-management game are counting on it. They make bank off the money they save clients, and like I said earlier, they’re getting filthy rich in the process. I suppose I should cash in too. Heck, why not? Everyone else is swimming in the pool; they don’t even seem to notice that big, fat, brown turd floating there. Hey, maybe it’s a chocolate bar, right? Right? Wink, wink.

Yeah, a little sarcasm and melodrama for your day. But sometimes that’s what it takes to get people to really listen, especially when you’re in a room full of people wearing watches that cost more than the car you drive—and I drive a pretty nice car, btw.

The deals most companies negotiate for cloud services are like those watches. Anachronistic. But hey, if you got the need, wear that Platinum Rolex Oyster Perpetual Cosmograph Daytona and overpay for your cloud services too while you’re at it. Me personally, I prefer the chestnut brown bevel with the ice blue face and not overpaying. That’s just me. I’m funny that way.

This is cloud matters, part 2. If this strikes a chord with you, I hope you’ll follow, share and sign your company up for Cloud Matters.

Thank you for reading,

William Robert Stanek
williamstanek at aol.com

Upcoming releases:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Administrator's Reference + IT Pro Library Better Together. 2 Great Windows Server 2016 resources.

Recently, a reader asked a good question: How do Windows Server 2016: The Administrator's Reference and Windows Server 2016: IT Pro Library differ?  The short answer is that they are completely different texts, written separately from start to finish, while both covering Windows Server 2016. An IT Pro could own both sets, or the individual books in each set, to round out and complete their library. More specifically, Windows Server 2016: The Administrator’s Reference provides over 250,000 words covering Microsoft's latest server operating system and includes the two IT Pro Solutions books I've written for Windows Server 2016: 1. Windows Server 2016: Essentials for Administration 2. Windows Server 2016: Server Infrastructure The IT Pro Solutions books are practical and precise hands-on guides with ready answers for IT professionals. You get fast answers and quick instruction. Windows Server 2016: IT Pro Library provides over 500,000 words coveri

Shame on Science Fiction Writers of America (SFWA)

Beware those who do evil in the name of good, those who build bully pulpits so they can target and victimize. I wish I was talking about some totalitarian regime or corrupt corporation, instead I’m talking about Absolute Write run by Victoria Strauss and others. Absolute Write is a platform for hate and abuse created by those claiming to do good for the writing community. A platform for hate and abuse that claims affiliation with Science Fiction Writers of America (SFWA) to extend the reach of its harm, victimization and abuse. For a number of years Absolute Write members and leaders indiscriminately targeted self-publishers as frauds, while membership of the Science Fiction Writers of America looked on and nodded their heads in agreement. For a number of years Absolute Write members and leaders indiscriminately targeted those who used print on demand as frauds, while membership of the Science Fiction Writers of America looked on and nodded their heads in agreement. For a

Visit me at robertstanek.blogspot.com and williamrstanek.com / robertstanek.com

Hi, I'm William Stanek. Most who know me know that I've been writing for 40 odd years now and that my work has been published and/or distributed by every major US publisher, including Prentice Hall, Simon & Schuster, Penguin Random House, Macmillan, McGraw-Hill, Hachette, HarperCollins, Pearson Education, Cengage Learning, Wiley, and HMH, and over 100 other publishers globally.  Of the 20 million words in my professional books, many were written for Microsoft, where they were translated and localized for use in over 150 of the more than 200 countries where Microsoft operates. This combined with world-wide readership of my work, written as Robert Stanek, and millions taught in training courses that used my work made me one of the most widely read and popular authors in the world for several decades, so it is any wonder this blog like several others I attempted to maintain fell by the wayside. :) Find news about my work and life at www.williamrstanek.com and www.robertstanek